Skip to main content

MS Graduate Supervisory Committee

Each graduate student has an advisor. New students are assigned a temporary advisor by the Department (contact Caitlin Thaxton to ask about yours). After completing one semester, and having attended the seminar (CS 6900), you should be able to decide what kind of research area you want to work in, and who would be the best professor to supervise that research. You should approach that professor with an idea of the research area, and possibly the topic, that you would like to work on. If the professor agrees to accept you, then the professor becomes your permanent advisor (also called your committee chair).

Together, the permanent advisor and you will decide on other members of the graduate supervisory committee, which will supervise the rest of your graduate work. You should approach each potential member and explain your plans, then ask that person to serve on the committee. The committee must then be approved by the Department Head and the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies.

For students seeking a Master's degree, the committee consists of the major professor and two other faculty members, at least one of whom has to be in a research area different from that of the committee chair (permanent advisor). Your permanent advisor must be within the CS Department if you receive department funding (research or teaching assistantship, or fellowship).

This committee will approve your studies from that point on. Specifically, they will approve a Program of Studies (POS), which lists the courses you have taken and will take and the title of your thesis or report. For students joining the department in Fall semester, they will need to submit a Supervisory Committee Form (SCAF) by November 1st. For students joining the department in Spring semester, they will need to submit a SCAF by April 1st.

If your advisor leaves USU, it is your responsibility to get a new advisor. The advisor cannot, in general, direct your progress from another university (exceptions may be made for students who are nearing completion of their degree).

Updated 9/2/2021