Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

The Computer Science Department Advising Office is a student's primary source for information and assistance regarding: academic advising, registration, admission to the Computer Science Department, scholarships, general education and transfer credits.

Office hours are Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

For an appointment (if you're a Student with an A#) press the "Schedule an Appointment" button on the lefthand side. Otherwise call 435-797-0527, or e-mail

Students are answerable to the General Catalog in force when they enter the CS Pre-Professional Program.  To find your catalog year, you can ask your advisor, or you can look at your Degree Works. 

Your DegreeWorks shows the spring spemester of your Catalog Year.  So, Joe Student in this example is on the 2017-18 catalog year.

Joe Student Catalog Year example.
The dates for finals can be found in the Utah State University Academic Calendar
Check the  ACCESS (Banner) system to determine the reason for the hold. Then call the phone number listed on the hold for information on how to get the hold removed. For example you may have a library fine, a parking ticket or owe money to the University.
Yes, the Computer Science Major will allow an internship to count as credit towards your degree. Students must apply for CS 4250 - Internship/Co-op credit.  Please meet with your Advisor for more details about internship credit.
We recommend you set up an appointment to meet with the College of Science Career Coach, Sophie Bassett.  You can schedule a specific time to meet in her office via email at or telephone 435-797-777.

We also recommend you sign up for Aggie Handshake, to find companies hiring for internships.

Minimum specs:


CPU: A Quad-Core (Intel Core i5 or AMD A10)

Memory: 8GB of DDR4 SRAM

Storage: 256GB SSD

Video: An integrated graphics card is fine; you're here to study, not to play games

Such a laptop will be in the $600 - $800 price range.


Other considerations:


If you desire portability, go for a laptop featuring a 13" or 15" display.  17" laptops tend to be much heavier, and you will need to carry it across campus.


Laptops with a bigger CPU than an i5 experience shorter battery life.

Larger displays and dedicated GPUs cost more power, too.  Students with these kinds of laptops are often carry their power adapter around with them, which is both heavier and inconvenient.  Newer classrooms have plenty of power outlets, but this isn't the case in all buildings.


Backlit keyboards are nice to have, especially when working in low-light conditions.


Touchscreens seem to be more trouble than they're worth.  They don't facilitate writing code, and most students I work with dislike theirs or forget that they have it.


Optical drives (DVD or BluRay) are obsolete in 2019.  Any required software is available via download.


When in doubt, get more USB ports.


A MicroSD card reader will come in handy.

See course descriptions in the online catalog
A- If you took the prerequisite course at another institution or via AP/Concurrent Enrollment credits but haven’t sent them to USU, do so as soon as possible. Then email your advisor for Computer Science course overrides and other departments for their authorizations (i.e. Math, Chemistry, Physics)

B- If you took the prerequisite course at another institution or via AP/Concurrent Enrollment credits and have transferred them please look at your USU unofficial transcript or Degree Works to see if you have these credits posted to your USU account. If it is not yet showing it may have not come through our system yet or something went wrong with the transfer. Please contact the USU Registrar’s office to see if they can view the transcript from your transfer institution. If the prerequisite is posted to your account an advisor may need to make an adjustment for the system to recognize it as a prerequisite, or may have to authorize you to take the class anyway. The Computer Science Advisor can make authorizations for Computer Science courses, but not for other departments(e.g., math, chemistry, physics). You’ll need to contact the advisors in those departments specifically for their authorization.

C- If you are currently taking the prerequisite course elsewhere we don’t have the transcript (basically proof in the system that you’re currently in the class). You’ll need to be able to show either the Computer Science Advisor or another advising department that you’re in the class elsewhere so that you can receive an authorization. As long as you pass the class you are good to go. If you don’t pass the class you’ll need to drop the one that was authorized or it will be dropped for you.
For a list of eligible courses, see the subheading Technical Electives in the CS Major Requirements.
Drop-In Math and Statistics Tutoring provides tutors for all levels of Math and Statistics for the entire university at the Taggart Student Center (TSC) 225A.

The Academic Resource Center has tutors for a variety of lower-level courses, see schedule.

Computer Science Coaching Center is available to any student taking a computer science course. It is located in Old Main 304 and is generally open Mon.-Fri. from 9 am - 9 pm, and Saturdays noon - 9 pm. Coaches are also available online. Check queuing information for details.