Course Challenge by Examination
If a student feels that they have already attained mastery of the learning objectives associated with a specific USU Computer Science class, they may petition the department to allow a challenge by examination of that course. The following policies and procedures will apply to challenges by examination:
- The student first requests to take a challenge examination through the department. (Main 414).
- Upon receipt of the request, the department will determine if there is a faculty member qualified and willing to prepare and grade an examination.
- If there is a faculty member available for the examination, the student will be instructed to contact that individual.
- It is the student’s responsibility to show to the faculty member (examiner) that they have sufficient background in the course subject matter to have a reasonable likelihood of passing the exam.
- Within ten working days of receiving approval by the examiner to take the challenge exam, the student must go to the USU cashier’s office to pay the required examination fee.
- Upon return of the receipt of payment to the department, the student will them be allowed to schedule with the examiner and the department main office to take the exam.
- Only an instructor who is currently teaching the course or who has taught the course within the last two years, and is willing to do so may make up the examination.
- The instructor giving the examination is responsible for assigning the grade (A-F).
- The fee for a challenge by examination is $135. Of this, $75 will be given to the instructor for preparation and grading of the examination.
- Students are only allowed to challenge the following classes:
CS1030, CS1400, CS1410, CS3010, CS3410, CS3420, CS3430