MS and MCS Program of Study Requirements
MS Degree Requirements (updated 11/27/2017)
- All on-campus students must submit a Program of Study (POS) by the end of their second semester
- At most, 15 Credits of 5000 level for Plan B or C. At most, 12 Credits of 5000 level for Plan A.
- Meet Placement Requirements
- Must take at least four CS Courses that are 6000 or above (does not include CS 6900, CS 6250 or CS 6970).
- CS 6900 Passed in First Semester of First Year.
- One credit of CS 6900 is allowed on the Program of Study.
- CS 6990 cannot be allowed on the POS.
- IELI 7920 cannot be included on the POS.
- Classes below 5000 CANNOT be counted on Program of Study.
- CS 5200 is the same as the sequence of courses ECE6600 and ECE 7610. Students can include CS 5200 on their Program of Study, or they can include ECE6600 and ECE 7610, but not both CS 5200 and one or both of those ECE courses. Students can use ECE 7610 as a prerequisite to CS6200.
- CS 5950 or CS 6950 or CS 7950 can be taken only with advisor's prior permission and only for three credits at a time. In the MS program, CS 6950 or CS 7950 can count as one of the (4) 6000-level courses and the maximum total number of credits allowed for CS 5950 plus CS 6950 plus CS 7950 is three. In the MCS program, the maximum total number of credits allowed for CS 5950 plus CS 6950 plus CS 7950 is three (with previous MS) or six (without previous MS).
- CS 6250 can be taken only with advisor's prior permission and for three credits at a time. A Maximum of three credits will be allowed on your Program of Study.
- A maximum of 6 credits will be allowed from outside the Computer Science Department. Any outside credits must be from ECE, Math, Statistics, or one of two approved Finance courses. FIN 6320, Computational Methods in Finance, and FIN 5350, Financial Modeling, may be taken for degree credits. (new 11/2017)
- Independent Studies courses taken outside the Computer Science Department will not be approved.
- No more than two courses used to satisfy these requirements can have grades below B-.
- No courses used to satisfy these requirements can have grades below C.
- Students must maintain a 3.00 GPA on all courses they take as a graduate student on all courses numbered 5000 or above.
- Students must maintain a 3.00 GPA on all courses shown on his or her Program of Study Form.
- Student must maintain a 3.0 on all courses taken as a matriculated graduate student.
- Student must maintain a 3.0 all CS courses numbered 5000 or above.
- Plan A is 30 credits total (Thesis Option). Must include six credits of CS 6970. Must take USU 6900 if supported on an RA position.
- Plan B is 34 credits total (Report Option). Must include two or three credits of CS 6970.
- Plan C is 37 credits total (Coursework Option). Cannot include any credits of CS 6970, but must include two CS courses that build off of each other.
Graduate students will be required to satisfy the departmental placement requirements. The rules governing placement are explained more fully in the departmental memorandum on placement.
Requirements may change from time to time, so students are advised to check with the department or their advisor to determine whether the requirements at the time of graduation or in the first semester of registration as a graduate student will have effect.
MCS Degree Requirements
- Completion of at least 60 credits of graduate course work beyond the BS/CS or 30 credits of graduate course work beyond the MS/CS with a minimum class grade of B- and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2.
- Successfully complete a research report proposal.
- Successfully complete and defend a research report.
The research proposal and report are to be equivalent of six semester credits. While not having the requirement to be publishable, the report must still be original.
Table 7: Course and Credit Requirements for MCS degree. "Without MS" denotes students without an MS-CS degree, "with MS" denotes students already holding a MS-CS degree. Unless otherwise noted, a credit-hour value denoting the number that must be included in the degree. No more and no less than this number may be included.
|MCS without MS||MCS with MS|
|7000-level Computer Science Credits||12 (minimum)||12 (minimum)|
|Credits awarded from MS||0||30 (maximum)|
|Business/Management Courses||not required||not required|
|Total Credits (minimum)||60||60|